Friday, May 21, 2010

Why this blog?

My expectation:
To find and create delicious recipes for whole grain baked goods.

I'll spare you the details of anxiety about my job and needing a project, etc. and get to the important thing. I'm a bit of a health nut (just a bit!), and a Type 1 diabetic (see my page about diabetes for more information). I've always loved baking. Not so much cooking, but you give me a great cookie recipe and I can hardly wait to get home to preheat the oven. However, baking is not the best hobby for someone with diabetes, although it certainly has not stopped me from eating anything and everything (my sweet tooth conquers all). But, being a diabetic has caused me to become almost obsessed with everything I put into my mouth. And now that I am 27 and have my own kitchen (and somebody else to eat my baked goods), I have begun to explore food even more (my food ideals).

From the moment I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was taught to eat low carbohydrate meals with lots of whole grains. Whole grains are an important part of any diet (not just for diabetics), as they can help stave off hunger and weight gain, keep blood sugar levels down, and help prevent insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes. I  have been successful at incorporating whole grains into my diet, and would guess that out of all the grains I eat, about 80 percent of them are whole. However, it is very difficult to find whole grains when eating out, and nearly impossible to find tasty baked goods and treats that have some form of whole grain. This takes me to my goal.

When most people think of whole grains, they think of whole wheat bread. Or they think of "healthy" tasting baked goods that leave a lot to be desired. But, did you know that white flour is just whole wheat flour that has been stripped of its nutrients and fiber? Whole grains have been an important food source for human beings since the existence of human beings, and a lot of baked goods we eat today were originally made with whole grains. My goal is to learn more about these grains and how to use them to create healthier versions of my (and your) favorite baked goods. I hope to inspire others to add whole grains to their own diets and to demand tasty, healthier baked goods at restaurants, cafes and bakeries.

I hope you enjoy my recipes and please let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment