Monday, May 31, 2010

Trader Joe's Multigrain Baking Mix: Biscuits

I recently purchased a box of Trader Joe's Multigrain Baking & Pancake mix and am looking forward to trying all the recipes on the box.

The baking mix contains white flour, whole wheat flour, ground rolled oats, leavening (baking powder), soybean oil, sugar, yellow cornmeal, wheat bran, oat bran, brown rice flour, salt and buttermilk. That's six different whole grains! And it's super easy to work with. I was a fan before I even used it.

Today I made the biscuits. I wanted something tasty for tomorrow morning, but didn't have the time or energy to slave away on cinnamon rolls or chocolate croissants, so I grabbed the TJ's baking mix. The recipe makes 8-10 biscuits (although, I made six with half a batch), which was too many, so I halved it. This was very easy to do, as there was no egg involved - just 1 cup of baking mix, 1/3 cup milk and 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Combine, knead, roll, cut and bake!

The end result was pretty good. They had a definite "healthy" taste, but also a nice light texture. If you don't mind the taste of whole wheat, I would recommend these biscuits. They were really easy to make and a nice treat to have in the morning.

Here are the nutrition facts of 1/3 cup of the baking mix (one biscuit was 1/6 cup):
150 calories
2g fat
28g carbohydrates
2g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment