Monday, August 8, 2011

Vegetables in Bread?

Expectation: That vegetables make baked goods moist and delicious!

Each time we get a CSA delivery from New Roots Organics, I think about what tasty baked goods I can come up with using their delicious local produce. Therefore, one goal of my business is to partner with a local farm or CSA. One delivery, we got both carrots and summer squash. I wanted to see what sort of flavor I could get with each of these, so I decided to puree them and make them into simple breads. I also bought a can of pumpkin (it's not pumpkin season), and did the same.

Here are the purees (carrots left, squash center, pumpkin right):


And here are the resulting mini-loaves (squash left, carrot center, pumpkin right):


I was amazed at the flavor I got from the squash and carrot puree. The squash was creamy, thick and just plain "squashy". The carrot was intense and spicy. The pumpkin, however, did not have too much flavor. I'm guessing this is why it is typically heavily spiced; it provides moistness while up taking on the flavor of your favorite spices. I'm curious to see if I get more flavor from fresh pumpkin, once autumn rolls around.

Do any of these sound like breads you would try? The next step is to figure out what form (muffin, bread, scone) will best showcase these flavors, and what other tasty ingredients I can add to enhance the nutrition and taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment