Monday, August 8, 2011

Perfecting the Recipes

Expectation: That I won't be able to make money off of any old recipe.

I've always tried a lot of recipes that don't make it onto this blog, but now that I've made the decision to sell my baked goods, it's time to extremely picky.

Over the last month, I've spent a lot of time thinking about my vision, and how I can differentiate from the competition. According to my research, there are very few bakeries out there who use solely whole grains. Although this has been the focus of my blog, I think my business will go one step further with the addition of nuts, fruit and even veggies. I want to focus on local produce, and truly celebrate whole, real foods.

So, it's time to get baking!

My goal is to have at least ten recipes in which I feel really confident and go from there. These ten need to cover different taste preferences (chocolaty, fruity, grainy, light and fluffy), while showcasing the four ingredient groups that I'll be featuring (whole grains, nuts, vegetables and fruits). Also, in the past I've posted other people's recipes word for word, but I don't feel great about putting a price tag on somebody else's concoction. Therefore, I'm going to create recipes that are all my own.

Needless to say, there's a lot of eating going on around here. I've sufficiently pawned off a ton of stuff on nearby friends, and have gotten some great feedback. But, once I've refined my top 10 recipes, it's diet time for me!

Perfecting the recipes is the fun part. The not-fun part is all of the paperwork, permits, applications and finances. As long as I keep my eyes on the prize, I think I'll stay motivated. Stay tuned for all of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment