Friday, October 22, 2010

Hazelnut Espresso Coffeecake

Expectation: To make another amazing whole-grain coffeecake for a special weekend.

Winner: Hazelnut Espresso Coffeecake


I was looking for an interesting and delicious breakfast treat to have around on a special weekend. As soon as I read the name of this coffeecake, I knew I had to make it. I love hazelnuts, and I really love chocolate, and this coffeecake has both! The final product has a drier texture than expected, but it tastes amazing with coffee. If you're a coffee, chocolate or hazelnut fan, I guarantee you will love this coffeecake!

One interesting thing this recipe calls for is espresso powder. My King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book (where I found the recipe) describes espresso powder as "chocolate's best friend." It says to "use 1/2 to 2 teaspoons in chocolate baked goods, frostings, and sauces; a touch of espresso powder enhances chocolate's flavor without adding any coffee flavor of its own."


I didn't expect this ingredient to be difficult to find, but was soon proven wrong. The first place I tried was Whole Foods. I thought it might be in the baking section, near cocoa powder and that kind of thing, but it was nowhere to be found. Eventually I made my way over to the coffee kiosk, and asked the girl behind the counter. She hadn't heard of it, but thought it sounded like something that would be used in Tiramisu, and took me to ask the baker in the baking section. The baker told us that it is not used in Tiramisu, and that the yummy dark powder on top of Tiramisu is cocoa powder. Meanwhile, the coffee girl made me a bit of finely ground espresso beans, just in case I had no luck. The baker told me to check an Italian grocery store, so I set out next to AG Ferrari. They also didn't have espresso powder, although, like Whole Foods, they carry instant coffee for baking. Still feeling hopeful, I checked Draegers to no avail. I did eventually find espresso powder online, sold by King Arthur Flour. Perhaps it's a marketing ploy afterall. Matt surprised me with a jar on my birthday, which I still have to put to the test, and I ended up using the finely ground espresso beans in the coffeecake.

Nutrition facts for one serving (1/16th cake):
414 calories
22g fat
46g carbohydrate
4g fiber
GI 58
GL 29

About the grains and ingredients:

Espresso Powder starts with specifically selected coffee beans that are ground and brewed to make espresso. After brewing, the grounds are then dried and crushed into a fine powder. This powder can also be used to make instant espresso or as a garnish. If you cannot (or don't have time to) find espresso powder, you can use instant coffee or finely ground coffee beans in it's place. Espresso powder is much more concentrated than instant coffee, and has a darker, richer flavor, so adjust to taste.

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour comes from the same grain as regular whole wheat flour, but is made from a softer variety and milled to a finer texture. It has a higher starch content, but is lower in gluten and protein. The end product is lighter and more tender than that of regular whole wheat flour. Whole wheat pastry flour can be found at most health food grocery stores (I found it at Whole Foods).

No comments:

Post a Comment